Sunday 4 November 2012

Value of Research So Far


o   I have learnt about different types of shots from my research into film openings, such as dynamic cutting (City of God). Dynamic cutting creates a montage of what’s going on in the opening and the seemingly unrelated images make the audience feel disorientated, and questioning what the images represent.  We might be able to use this technique in our opening.

o   Handheld camera work suggests movement, action and sometimes panic. The movement of the camera makes the audience wonder what is going to happen next as it creates suspense and tension. I want to use this in my opening scene we are seeing what is going on from the characters perspective, and it also tells us what is going on in the scene. This will look good in my opening sequence as its horror themed, so the handheld camera work will add panic and chaos.

o   Extreme close ups show a strong, significant emotion and sometimes can create a disorientating effect. I have related this to my own ideas as this type of shot allows the audience to add up all the significant clues and allows them to make their own assumptions onto what’s going to happen.

o   Back lighting creates an intimidating silhouette effect. It creates a strong contrast between the object and the background. I would like to link this into my ideas as the silhouette creates as mysterious atmosphere and adds to the tension felt by the audience.

o   Non diegetic sound can change the mood of the film ominously. I believe that it is essential in horror films as it can notify the audience when something important is going to happen. Also it can make the film even scarier creating a larger impact on the audience. I would like to use this in my opening scene as it can establish the atmosphere, a character or an emotion allowing the audience to understand more about the film.

o   Dialogue helps to tell the story and creates an impression of a character and many other aspects of a character. I would like to use dialogue as I want the audience to have a connection with some characters so that they can feel sympathy for certain characters.

o   Actors and casting are extremely important as they make the film look more realistic and create stereotypes so that people can connect with them. I will like this in with my ideas as we need to have different people for different characters to show contrast in power and physicality.

o    Establishing shots allow the audience to orientate themselves. It lets them know where they are and where the action will be taking place and at what time. I will use this when filming as it allows the audience to know where they are and will allow them to be able to grasp the storyline.

o   Canted angles create a chaotic/disorientating effect and show that something is wrong. I would use this in my filming as it is a horror film, and in the film a lot of chaotic things may happen so by using a canted angle I can get that across to the audience.

o   Two shots show relationships between characters, I would use two shots to show the relationships between the two sisters as they are very close and shows significance to their relationship.

No comments:

Post a Comment